February 2, 2017 The Hillsdale Drive Extension project continues to take shape. In ground utility work is on-going with a major focus being placed on installing new storm water piping. Retaining wall units have begun to be installed between the Pepsi Bottling Plant and Post Office. Abutment B (southern) is complete for the bridge and the wingwalls of Abutment A (northern) will be complete this week, January 30-February 3. The roadway besides Homewood Suites is also almost complete – the Line Drive/India Road intersection is being tied into the future Hillsdale Drive Extension with paving scheduled for later this week. The cleaved northern wing of Seminole Square has been reconstructed with only small, punchlist items left to be addressed. Please see below for current and future work activities.
Project Work Activities
Work in Process
- Finishing punchlist items for Seminole Square Shopping Center (North Wing Section) Reconstruction
- Installing retaining wall between Pepsi Bottling Plant and Post Office
- Completing Abutment A (northern) wing walls
- Placing fill, riprap and gabions at/around abutments
- Installing sanitary and storm sewer structures
- Tying in Line Drive/India Road intersection with the future Hillsdale Drive Extension
- Installing pedestrian lighting conduit and asphalt base course between existing Hillsdale Drive and India Road (next to Homewood Suites). Prepping for shared use path construction. This new roadway section has a projected opening in February 2017.
Upcoming Work (now-February 2017)
- Completing retaining wall between Pepsi Plant and Post Office – as well as beginning several knee-tall retaining walls at Post Office
- Placing fill, riprap and gabions at/around abutments for new bridge behind Seminole Square Shopping Center
- Finishing reconstruction of Seminole Square Shopping Center (North Wing Section)
- Beginning installation of storm water drainage, conduit, shared use path, curb and asphalt base course in parking lot of Seminole Square Shopping Center (North Wing Section)
- Installing conduit and asphalt base course between existing Hillsdale Drive and India Road (next to Homewood Suites). This new roadway section has a projected opening in February 2017.
- Continuing storm water installation in preparation of roundabout construction (Zan Road and Line Drive) and Zan Road in front of Seminole Square Shopping Center
- Continuing sanitary sewer and beginning waterline work along Zan Road
- Installing storm water system along Pepsi Place
- Begin ACSA utility relocation within Greenbrier Drive with proper safety measures to accommodate two-way traffic
- Completing borings within existing stormwater basin in preparation of fill operations
Existing Storm Water Basin (north of Greenbrier Drive)
- Borings will be taken in the beginning of February in preparation for fill operations for the new roadway north of Greenbrier Drive. The existing basin will continue to act as a temporary sediment basin during construction and will remain connected to the existing storm water system. Construction of the new basin is scheduled for completion the of Summer 2017.
Greenbrier/Pepsi Place/Hillsdale Drive Intersection
- An upgrade to the existing sanitary sewer line in Greenbrier Drive has been scheduled for February 2017. Installation of signal foundations will begin in Winter 2017 in preparation of determination by state that a signal is warranted. However, construction of new intersection at Hillsdale Drive/Greenbrier Drive, with stop signs on Greenbrier Drive, is currently scheduled for Summer 2017. A new permanent speed limit of 25 mph was established on Hillsdale Drive between Greenbrier Drive and Branchlands Boulevard.
Work is being scheduled to replace/improve an existing sanitary sewer line located within Greenbrier Drive. Traffic will be safely maintained in both directions and notice will be given as a firm start date is established.
A new section of roadway will be opened February 2017 between existing Hillsdale Drive (off of Hydraulic Road) to India Road. Flagging operations will take place to tie this new section into the existing roadway network at India Road/Line Drive.
Construction of the Zan/Line/Hillsdale roundabout has been rescheduled for April-May 2017 to take advantage of temperate Spring weather. Access will be interrupted between Zan Road and Line Drive at this time. Access from 29 North to India Road and to Zan Road will be unchanged. Detour signage and a detour map are being finalized to direct drivers from Route 29 South to use the new Hillsdale Drive to access 18 businesses. The detour will last approximately two months. An additional email announcing the detour map will be distributed shortly.
An Albemarle County Service Authority sanitary sewer line improvement has been included in the Hillsdale Drive Extension project. Flagging operations on Greenbrier Drive will control traffic starting Monday, February 13, 2017. Work will take approximately 6 weeks to complete.
The Route 7 CAT bus route will make a slight detour traveling south for the week of February 13-17th, 2017. The bus will be directed to turn left onto Greenbrier Drive, turn around in the cul de sac before proceeding west onto Greenbrier Drive. The bus stop on Greenbrier Drive (north side, by stormwater basin, for buses traveling south) will also be temporarily relocated to the corner of Greenbrier Drive/Hillsdale Drive during the week of February 13-17th, 2017.
Effective Monday, February 20, 2017
The Route 7 CAT bus route and bus stop on Greenbrier Drive (north side, by stormwater basin, for buses traveling south) have returned to their regularly scheduled route and location.
A new section of Hillsdale Drive Extension will open on Friday, February 24th. The existing Hillsdale Drive roadway segment at Hydraulic Road will now connect to India Road. This segment of roadway is being opened to aid in business access while other construction activities commence. Additional traffic alerts will be issued to detail these detours.
Obey traffic controls and expect minor delays on Hillsdale Drive, Hydraulic Road, India Road, Zan Road, Greenbrier Drive, Pepsi Place and Seminole Court.
The project will be constructing the following improvements:
- Two-lane road with dedicated turn lanes to connect Hydraulic Road with the current southern terminus of Hillsdale Drive at Greenbrier Drive;
- Shared-use path on the east side of the road and a sidewalk on the west side, south of Greenbrier Drive;
- Bike lanes north of Greenbrier Drive and sharrows south of Greenbrier Drive;
- Signal at Seminole Court/Hillsdale Drive intersection;
- Roundabout at existing Line Drive/Zan Road intersection;
- Reconstruction and relocation of existing stormwater basin at Greenbrier Drive with native plantings (to be completed in Spring 2017);
- Bridge between Pepsi Bottling Plant, Post Office and Seminole Shopping Center;
- Landscaping with 86 Shade trees; and
- Pedestrian Lighting.
For more information about the Hillsdale Drive Extended project, check the project website.