January 6, 2017 Hillsdale Extended Construction Update #5 – January 2017
The new year has begun and Fielder’s Choice continues to make progress on Hillsdale Drive Extension. In ground utility work is on-going with a major focus being placed on installing new storm water piping. Fill placement continues in the vicinity of the retaining wall between the Pepsi Bottling Plant and Post Office with installation of the retaining wall scheduled to begin next week, January 9-13. Abutment B (southern) is complete for the bridge and the crane is being remobilized to complete the wingwalls of Abutment A (northern). The roadway besides Homewood Suites continues to take shape with curbing and paving soon to be completed. The cleaved northern wing of Seminole Square is finishing up reconstruction. Please see below for current and future work activities.
Project Work Activities
Work in Process
- Reconstruction of Seminole Square Shopping Center (North Wing Section) is wrapping up
- Performing undercut just north of Pepsi cul-de-sac in preparation of retaining wall installation
- Pouring retaining wall leveling pad
- Repositioning crane to complete Abutment A (northern) wing walls
Upcoming Work (now-January 2017)
- Completing leveling pad and installing retaining wall between Pepsi Plant and Post Office
- Continue work on wing walls for Abutment B for new bridge behind Seminole Square Shopping Center
- Adding rip rap to bridge abutments
- Finishing reconstruction of Seminole Square Shopping Center (North Wing Section)
- Installing curb and asphalt base course being installed between existing Hillsdale Drive and India Road (next to Homewood Suites). This new roadway section has a projected opening in February 2017.
- Begin storm water installation in preparation of roundabout construction (Zan Road and Line Drive) and Zan Road in front of Seminole Square Shopping Center
- Continuing sanitary sewer work along Zan Road
- Begin utility relocation within Greenbrier Drive with proper safety measures to accommodate two-way traffic
Existing Storm Water Basin (north of Greenbrier Drive)
- Fill will continue to be placed on the newly installed 36” pipe in preparation of the new roadway north of Greenbrier Drive. A new storm structures was placed within the basin. This basin will continue to act as a temporary sediment basin during construction and will remain connected to the existing storm water system. Construction of the new basin is scheduled completion the of Summer 2017.
Greenbrier/Pepsi Place/Hillsdale Drive Intersection
- An upgrade to the existing sanitary sewer line in Greenbrier Drive has been scheduled for January-February 2017. Installation of signal foundations will begin in Winter 2017 in preparation of determination by state that a signal is warranted. However, construction of new intersection at Hillsdale Drive/Greenbrier Drive, with stop signs on Greenbrier Drive, is currently scheduled for Summer 2017. A new permanent speed limit of 25 mph was established on Hillsdale Drive between Greenbrier Drive and Branchlands Boulevard.
Work is being scheduled to replace/improve an existing sanitary sewer line located within Greenbrier Drive. Traffic will be safely maintained in both directions and notice will be given as a firm start date is established.
A new section of roadway will be opened February 2017 between existing Hillsdale Drive (off of Hydraulic Road) to India Road. Flagging operations will take place to tie this new section into the existing roadway network at India Road/Line Drive. Once this section of roadway is opened, construction will begin on a roundabout at Zan Road and Line Drive. Access will be interrupted between Zan Road and Line Drive at this time. Access from 29 North to India Road and to Zan Road will be unchanged. Detour signage and a detour map are being finalized to direct drivers from Route 29 South to use the new Hillsdale Drive to access 18 businesses. The detour will last approximately two months. An additional email announcing the detour map will be distributed shortly.
Obey traffic controls and expect minor delays on Hillsdale Drive, Hydraulic Road, India Road, Zan Road, Greenbrier Drive, Pepsi Place and Seminole Court.
The project will be constructing the following improvements:
- Two-lane road with dedicated turn lanes to connect Hydraulic Road with the current southern terminus of Hillsdale Drive at Greenbrier Drive;
- Shared-use path on the east side of the road and a sidewalk on the west side, south of Greenbrier Drive;
- Bike lanes north of Greenbrier Drive and sharrows south of Greenbrier Drive;
- Signal at Seminole Court/Hillsdale Drive intersection;
- Roundabout at existing Line Drive/Zan Road intersection;
- Reconstruction and relocation of existing stormwater basin at Greenbrier Drive with native plantings (to be completed in Spring 2017);
- Bridge between Pepsi Bottling Plant, Post Office and Seminole Shopping Center;
- Landscaping with 86 Shade trees; and
- Pedestrian Lighting.
For more information about the Hillsdale Drive Extended project, check the project web site.