March 6, 2017 Hillsdale Extended Construction Update #7 – March 2017
A new roadway section of Hillsdale Drive Extension—from existing Hillsdale Drive to the Line Drive/India Road intersection—was opened this month and progress is being made throughout the corridor. The retaining wall between the Pepsi Bottling Plant and Post Office has been substantially completed—all wall units installed with backfill ongoing. Both bridge abutments have been completed so that Fielder’s Choice can begin setting steel for the bridge. The cleaved northern wing of Seminole Square has been reconstructed with a final walkthrough conducted with the shopping center. In ground utility work continues with installation of new storm water piping/structures and upgrading the existing Albemarle County Service Authority sanitary main in Greenbrier Drive. Please see below for current and future work activities.
Project Work Activities
Work in Process
- Completing ACSA sanitary sewer improvement on Greenbrier Drive
- Backfilling wall units between Pepsi Bottling Plant and Post Office
- Placing riprap around bridge abutments
- Preparing for crane mobilization to lift bridge girder/beams for deck
- Installing sanitary and storm sewer structures
- Prepping for shared use path and sidewalk construction between existing Hillsdale Drive and India Road (next to Homewood Suites).
- Demolishing Line Drive between India Road and Zan Road
Upcoming Work (now-March 2017)
- Installing backfill and coping on retaining wall between Pepsi Plant and Post Office – as well as beginning several knee-tall retaining walls at Post Office
- Continuing installation of storm water drainage, conduit, shared use path, curb and asphalt base course in parking lot of Seminole Square Shopping Center (North Wing Section)
- Installing shared use path and sidewalk construction between existing Hillsdale Drive and India Road (next to Homewood Suites)
- Placing bridge girders/beams for deck
- Continuing storm water installation in preparation of roundabout construction (Zan Road and Line Drive) and Zan Road in front of Seminole Square Shopping Center
- Grading, installing underdrain and placing stone base for Line Drive to reopen late March 2017
- Installing storm water system along Pepsi Place
- Finishing ACSA utility relocation within Greenbrier Drive and paving asphalt patch over improvements
- Performing undercut and fill operations within existing stormwater basin for new roadway section
Existing Storm Water Basin (north of Greenbrier Drive)
- Undercut operations will begin (removing “bad” soil) so fill can be placed for the new roadway north of Greenbrier Drive. Work will be performed outside of the roadway, but please pay attention to dump trucks entering/leaving site from construction entrances. The existing basin will continue to act as a temporary sediment basin during construction. Construction of the new basin is scheduled for completion the of Summer 2017.
Greenbrier/Pepsi Place/Hillsdale Drive Intersection
- Installation of signal foundations has been rescheduled for Spring 2017 in preparation of determination by state that a signal is warranted. Construction of new intersection at Hillsdale Drive/Greenbrier Drive, with stop signs on Greenbrier Drive, is currently scheduled for Summer 2017. A new permanent speed limit of 25 mph was established on Hillsdale Drive between Greenbrier Drive and Branchlands Boulevard.
Work is being completed to replace/improve an existing sanitary sewer line located within Greenbrier Drive. Traffic is being safely maintained in both directions and is expected to be complete mid-March 2017.
A new section of roadway was opened February 28, 2017 between existing Hillsdale Drive (off of Hydraulic Road) to India Road.
Construction of the Zan/Line/Hillsdale roundabout has been rescheduled for April-May 2017 to take advantage of temperate Spring weather. Access will be interrupted between Zan Road and Line Drive at this time. Access from 29 North to India Road and to Zan Road will be unchanged. Detour signage and a detour map are being finalized to direct drivers from Route 29 South to use the new Hillsdale Drive to access 18 businesses. The detour will last approximately two months. An additional email announcing the detour map will be distributed shortly.
Obey traffic controls and expect minor delays on Hillsdale Drive, Hydraulic Road, India Road, Zan Road, Greenbrier Drive, Pepsi Place and Seminole Court.
The project will be constructing the following improvements:
- Two-lane road with dedicated turn lanes to connect Hydraulic Road with the current southern terminus of Hillsdale Drive at Greenbrier Drive;
- Shared-use path on the east side of the road and a sidewalk on the west side, south of Greenbrier Drive;
- Bike lanes north of Greenbrier Drive and sharrows south of Greenbrier Drive;
- Signal at Seminole Court/Hillsdale Drive intersection;
- Roundabout at existing Line Drive/Zan Road intersection;
- Reconstruction and relocation of existing stormwater basin at Greenbrier Drive with native plantings (to be completed in Spring 2017);
- Bridge between Pepsi Bottling Plant, Post Office and Seminole Shopping Center;
- Landscaping with 86 Shade trees; &
- Pedestrian Lighting.
For more information about the Hillsdale Drive Extended project check the project web site.